Ursuline Convent turned 100 in October, 2002

Work was done in preperation of the celebration

 

 The Miles City Convent Keepers are busy with preparations for the 100th anniversary of the large brick building that housed the Ursuline nuns and their school Sacred Heart Academy. The event is planned for the weekend of October 4-6.

One anniversary item is the installation of a round window in the front of the building. According to an article in the Miles City Star, the original window was found in 1991 -- no other details were given. The reason for replacing the original round window is not known. Convent Keepers (the group caring for the building) speculate it was done so a square window that could be opened for air circulation was installed. Al Ottoy of Ottoy Construction is re-installing the window so that it can be opened.

While Catholic education began with the Ursulines in 1884, the name Sacred Heart did not become connected to the school until the 1902 Academy was open.

Photo ID -- Al Ottoy installs white aluminum siding around the window after framing and insulating.

 Al Ottoy operates the controls of a motorized lift to place him closer to his work.

 

 
 The following two shots are of Ottoy adding the needed siding to both protect and dress-up the window structure.

 
 This is not a job for those with a fear of heights

 Ottoy makes use of the hole as an access point to the lift. Once the outside work is done, the inside of the window will be dressed-up as well.

For additional historic information and photos of the Convent, select the History button on the school's index page.