Q. How do I sign up for Mid-Rivers Internet?
A. You can sign up for dial-up service online today or contact Mid-Rivers Customer Service at (406) 485-3301 or 1-800-452-2288. If you are interested in signing up for one of the High-Speed Internet options that Mid-Rivers provides, see if you qualify.
Q. Does Mid-Rivers Internet have technical support?
A. Yes, Mid-Rivers Internet offers 24-hour customer support, seven days a week. You may reach our Technical Assistance Center (TAC) by calling (406) 485-3301 or 1-800-452-2288. You can also send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Q. When I connect to Mid-Rivers Internet, do I dial a local phone number?
A. Yes! Mid-Rivers offers local access modem phone numbers in Baker, Bloomfield, Broadus, Carlyle, Circle, Custer, Ekalaka, Fairview, Fallon, Glendive, Grass Range, Jordan, Lambert, Lavina, Lewistown, Lindsay, Melstone, Miles City, Musselshell, North Ryegate, Plevna, Richey, Rock Springs, Roundup, Roy, Ryegate, Savage, Sidney, S. Wolf Point (525), Terry, Wibaux, Winnett, and Wolf Point (653).
Q. Why won't my password be accepted when I try logging on to the Internet?
A. If you have an email-only account, or additional mailbox, that username and password will not connect you to the Internet. You still must use your main dialup account to get connected to the Internet.
Q. What kind of equipment is needed for Mid-Rivers High-Speed Internet Access?
A. An Ethernet Network Interface Card (NIC) installed in your computer or a USB adapter, and a DSL modem, which will be provided by Mid-Rivers.
Q. Can I hook my Local Area Network up to Mid-Rivers High-Speed Internet Access?
A. Yes, but you may need some additional equipment, such as a router/gateway device. This equipment will function correctly if it can be configured as a DHCP CLIENT. While the brand of this equipment is insignificant, any device directly connected to Mid-Rivers DSL service must be configured as a DHCP CLIENT. View local area network equipment examples, or let us set up your network for you.
Q. I have one computer connected to my DSL modem, can I add more computers to that connection?
A. Yes - make the hardware changes referenced above and then call Mid-Rivers to make the required configuration changes to your DSL account (free of charge).
Q. Can I give a device attached to a DSL modem a static IP address?
A. No, any device attached to a high-speed modem has to be capable of being configured through DHCP. However, the address of that device will not change, so to the rest of the world it will appear to have a static IP address. This type of IP address is sometimes called a "persistent" IP address.
Q. Can I give a device attached to a cable modem a static IP address?
A. Yes, but there will be a small additional monthly charge. For ease of configuration, we recommend this device be setup through DHCP, even though the IP address will not change. This type of IP address is sometimes called a "persistent" IP address.
Q. How do I power cycle my High Speed Internet equipment?
A. There are certain times, such as after a power outage, when you may experience a problem connecting to the Internet via your high-speed connection (DSL, cable modem, etc.). In this case, you may need to power cycle (sometimes referred to as "reboot") your system to get it to function properly again. Follow these steps to properly power cycle your computer system and high-speed Internet modem:
1. Shutdown your computer as you normally would. You will need to do a complete shutdown of the computer and not just a restart.
2. Turn off your router. If you don't have a router, simply skip this step. Some routers will have a power switch, if yours does not, you will have to unplug the power supply from the electrical outlet. All the lights should go out on the router.
3. Turn off your modem. Some modems will have a power switch, if yours does not, you will have to unplug the power supply from the electrical outlet. All lights should go out on the modem.
4. Wait about 15 seconds and then turn on the modem with the power switch or by plugging it back into the electrical outlet. Give the modem a minute to startup and connect to the network.
5. Turn on the router with the power switch or by plugging it back into the electrical outlet. Give the router a minute to startup and connect to the network.
6. Finally, turn your computer on and allow it to fully boot up. You should now be able to re-establish your Internet connection.
If you continue to have problems with your Internet connection, please call our 24-hour Technical Assistance Center at 1-800-452-2288.
Q. What is a personal web page?
A. A personal web page allows you to put information onto a web page that can be viewed by other computers that are connected to the Internet. Learn more about personal web pages.
Q. What does a personal web page cost?
A. A personal web page is FREE to you with any Mid-Rivers dial-up or high-speed account.
Q. Will Mid-Rivers create a web page for me?
A. No, Mid-Rivers will give you space on our web server for your personal web page, but you are responsible for creating and posting your own web page on the Internet.
Q. I transferred my web page to the server, but some links aren't working. What causes this?
A. When this happens, there are two main causes. First, your files may not be in the right directory. Second, the actual file name differs from the name of the link. For example, the actual file name is ABC.html, but the link is going to abc.html.
Q. Why can't I get connected to the web server to upload my web page?
A. To upload your web page onto the web server, you must be connected to the Internet via one of Mid-Rivers dial-up access numbers, or a Mid-Rivers high-speed Internet connection. You must also be typing in www.midrivers.com, not ftp.midrivers.com or midrivers.com for the host server name.
Q. Why can some people send email to me and others can not?
A. Those who can not send to your email address may be typing your email address incorrectly. For you to receive email, the sender must type the address correctly (email@example.com). The email configuration on your computer must also contain your correct email address. It is possible for the wrong address to be typed into your return address settings. To check this, send yourself an email and verify the return address. If the return address is not entered correctly, it needs to be changed.
Q. Is there a limit to the size of my Mid-Rivers mail box?
A. Yes. We will be enforcing a 100 Megabyte size limit to all Mid-Rivers mail boxes. To check the size of your mail box, click here.
Q. How do I retrieve email header information?
CAUTION: Do not click on View Source in the drop down menu. In Outlook, Source gives you the HTML encoding of the email text message; it does not give you the email headers.
1. Right click on suspect email, then select ”Message Options”
2. Then Right click in the box with the title “Internet headers:” and select “Select All”, then Right click again and select “Copy”
1. Right click on the suspect email you wish to report
2. From the menu above choose 'Properties'; this will launch a dialog box.
3. When the dialog box first launches it will be on the 'General' tab; to view the Full Headers click on the
'Details' tab as shown above in red.
4. Highlight and copy the Full Headers
1. Double-click on the suspect email in open letter view
2. Click on View in the toolbar then on Message Source in the drop down menu
3. The full text of the message with Full Headers is displayed
4. Highlight and copy the Full Headers. The fastest way to do this is to right click on the Headers then click Select All in the drop down menu. Right click on the Headers again and click Copy in the drop down menu.
Q. Do I need to have antivirus or other security software on my PC?
A. YES. Any computer that is hooked to the Internet, especially one hooked to an "always-on" high-speed connection, MUST be protected by reliable anti-virus software. Without it, you will open yourself up to risks such as identity theft, viruses and spyware that will slow or disable your PC, and many other online security threats. For more information, visit our Useful Software page, or get your antivirus protection from Mid-Rivers through our SecureIT Plus services.
Q. Does Mid-Rivers ask for verification of usernames and passwords, or other personal or account information, via e-mail?
A. NO. If you receive an e-mail that looks as if it is from Mid-Rivers asking for such information, it is a fraud attempt and you should NOT respond to it. This is known as "Phishing." Read more about Phising and other current Internet Security issues in our Internet Security News Updates.
Q. I'm trying to do online banking, and I need a specific level of encryption in my browser. How do I tell what I have?
A. In Internet Explorer, go to HELP and ABOUT INTERNET EXPLORER. It will say "Cipher Strength: 128-bit" (for example). Download the latest version of Internet Explorer.
Q. Why are my email folders not showing up in my Inbox?
A. You may need to re-subscribe to your folders. Examples for re-subscribing to folders for several popular email programs are listed below. Thunderbird, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, and Mid-Rivers Web Mail.
Still have questions? Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org